In 1878 the School of Natural History of the College of Natural Science began to offer courses in Microscopy and Fungology1 and in 1891 established an undergraduate course in bacteriology within its division of Botany.2 In 1896 the division of Botany first offered agraduate course in bacteriology.3 The Trustees in 1921 approved the recommendation thatthe Division of Bacteriology in the Department of Botany be established as a separateDepartment of Bacteriology. 4 In 1934, the Trustees approved the recommendation of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences that the departments of Bacteriology, Botany, Entomology, Physiology and Zoology be organized into a Division of Biological Sciences.5 In 1959 the Division was transformed into the School of Life Sciences6 and the name of theDepartment of Bacteriology was changed to the Department of Microbiology.7Having offices and classrooms in Burrill Hall, the Department of Microbiology offers an undergraduate major and minor to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.9 The Department offers an area of specialization in molecular biology or biophysical chemistry in collaboration with the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.10 Areas of instruction include genetics, microbic processes, virology, immunology, pathogenic bacteriology, the study of microorganisms and food, industrial and applied microbiology.11
1. Catalogs and Registers, 1878-79, p. 68
2. Catalogs and Registers, 1891-92, p. 90.
3. Catalogs and Registers, 1895-96, p. 148.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 31st Report, August 1, 1921, p. 17.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, January 26, 1934, p. 432.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 23, 1959, p. 435.
7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 23, 1959, p. 440.
8. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1972-74, pp. 242-43.
9. Graduate College Catalog, 1974-76, p. 94.
11. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1974-76, pp. 242-45.