The Theatre Department was created on April 19, 1967, when those aspects of the Department of Speech and Theater oriented to performance were transferred from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to the College of Fine and Applied Arts.1 The Board of Trustees authorized the establishment of a curriculum leading to a degree of Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theater, with areas of specialization in Acting, Directing and Playwrighting, and Technology and Design.2 In 1969 the Department began offering a program leading to a Master of Arts degree.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, April 19, 1967, p. 486.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, June 19, 1968, p. 1084.