In 1876, the Trustees authorized the faculty to accredit high schools.1 In 1896, the position of High School Visitor was created to inspect high schools and recommend them for accrediting.2 In 1905, the first High School Conferences were held at the University.3 Both the Conferences and the Office of Visitor continued until 1947.4 In September 1956, the Office of Admissions and Records, in cooperation with colleges and departments on the three campuses, launched an intensive program of high school and University relations to improve articulation through conferences of teachers, principals and University officials and College Nights for high school students.5 Lowell B. Fisher became the Coordinator of the Division of School and University Articulation of the Office of Admissions and Records.6 In 1956, the President of the University, in cooperation with the President of the Illinois Secondary School Principals Association, appointed a INT Committee on School and University Relations.7 In 1958, the program was extended to include junior college-University relations.8 In 1966-67, Fisher's title was changed to University Coordinator of School-College relations.9 In 1968, the University INT Committee on School, Junior College, and University Relations was established.10 In 1968, a University Office of School and College Relations with a Director and Coordinator for the three campuses in the School and University Articulation Program.11 On September 1, 1970, a new position concerned with junior college-University transfer students was created in the Office of Admissions and Records.12
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, September 30, 1876, pp. 71-72.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 18th Report, June 9, 1896, p. 251.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 23rd Report, September 27, 1904, p. 5.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 43rd Report, June 27, 1946, p. 1221; 44th Report, May 22, 1948, pp. 1097-99.
5. Office of Admissions and Records, Urbana, Annual Report for June 1, 1956-May 31, 1957, pp. 1 & 5; Annual Report for June 1, 1957-May 31, 1958, p. 1.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, July 16, 1957, p. 562; Staff Directory, 1956-57, p. 104.
7. Office of Admissions and Records, Urbana, Annual Report for June 1, 1956-May 31, 1957, p. 4.
8. Office of Admissions and Records, Urbana, Annual Report for June 1, 1957-May 31, 1958, p. 8.
9. Staff Directory, 1966-67, p. 160.
10. Record Group 39/1/10, Box 4, July 11, 1968 press release on Illinois INT Committee on School, Junior College and University Relations.
11. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, May 15, 1968, pp. 1021-1-22; Staff Directory, 1968-69, pp. 190, 334.
12. Office of Admissions and Records, Urbana, Annual Report for June 1, 1970-May 31, 1971, p. 3.
Description: Copies of "State Universities in Illinois, a counseling handbook for students, parents and counselors" published by the Illinois Joint Council on Higher Education's Committee on Pre-College Counseling and containing information on educational opportunities, admission requirements, financial aids for twelve state-supported institutions of higher learning. Previous titles were "An Education at Illinois' State-Supported Universities" (1960-66) and "Higher Education at Illinois' State-Supported Universities" (1967).