The first students to do graduate work enrolled in 1877, leading to the awarding of the first master's degree in 1878.1 However, a graduate program was not set up until 1891.2 The Graduate School was formally organized in 1907, after appropriation of funds by the Illinois General Assembly.3 Its name was changed to the Graduate College in 1947, in anticipation of its new significance in the University organization.4 In 1968, the Board of Trustees provided for separate Graduate Colleges on each of three University campuses.5 The Graduate College has the responsibility of developing and safeguarding standards of graduate work and promoting and assisting research by faculty members.6 It provides assistance and supervision to other degree-granting units on the campus.7
In 1974, the Board of Trustees added the title of Vice Chancellor for Research to Dean of the Graduate College to more accurately describe the responsibilities vested in the college.8
--7/1 Dean's Office
--7/2 Executive Committee
1. Dietz, Frederick C., History of the Graduate College, (carbon typescript, 1957), p. 3.
2. Ibid., p. 5.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 24th Report, June 10, 1907, p. 133.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, October 30, 1947, p. 885.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, January 17, 1968, p. 884-885.
6. University Statutes, 1972, p. 19-20.
7. Graduate College Catalog, 1976-78, p. 9.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 57th Report, June 19, 1974, p. 581.
Description: 50th Anniversary Lecture Series consisting of five booklets containing lectures given from January to May, 1958 in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Graduate College by Mark Van Doren on "The University of Illinois in Retrospect," Hermann Muller on "The World View of Moderns," Harrison Brown on "Requisites for Survival," Allan Nevins on "The American Arts and American Freedom" and Ernest Hilgard on "Unconscious Processes and Human Rationality."