The Board of Trustees established the Department of Anthropology in 1959, separating it from the Department of Sociology and Anthropology in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.1 In 1961 the Illinois Archaeological Survey was presented to the Department of Anthropology for research.2 In August 1976 the Department of Anthropology became part of the School of Social Sciences in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, May 16, 1959, p. 406.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, December 19, 1961, p. 1238.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 58th Report, February 18, 1976, p. 523.