Established as the Institute of Aeronautics in 1945,1 the Institute of Aviation is responsible for fostering and correlating education and research activities related to aviation in all parts of the University.2 The Director administers the Institute and the University Airport.3 Opened in 1945, the University-Willard Airport provides commercial service, research and education facilities and private service.4
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 43rd Report, February 24, 1945, p. 376-80.
2. University of Illinois Statutes, June, 1958, p. 28.
3. University of Illinois Statutes, June, 1958, p. 28.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 43rd Report, February 24, 1945, p. 376-80.
Description: Announcement of an aviation seminar co-sponsored with the State of Illinois Department of Aeronautics, 1954, and a flight training clinic co-sponsored by the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, 1962.