On April 24, 1947, the Trustees approved the appointment of Wilbur Schramm as Director of the newly created Institute of Communications Research.1 On February 16, 1950, the Trustees approved the establishment of a Division of Communications, which was to be headed by Schramm.2 The Institute of Communications Research was part of this Division. On April 21, 1954, the Trustees approved the transfer of the Institute of Communications Research to the Graduate College.3 On June 20, 1957, the Trustees transferred (effective September 1, 1957) the Institute of Communications Research to the College of Journalism and Communications, with the Director of the Institute reporting to the Dean of the College.4
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, April 24, 1947, p. 351.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, February 16, 1950, p. 988.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, April 21, 1954, pp. 1322-23.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, June 20, 1957, p. 435.
Description: Subject File of the Institute of Communications Research contains the files of the Director of the Institute and the Dean of the Division of Communications Wilbur Schramm (1947-1954), including correspondence, reports and publications concerning research projects and conferences on the mass media, UNESCO projects, psychological warfare in Korea, administrative matters, budgets, recruitment of personnel, staff work for the President, university committee service and review of reports, academic freedom, University Press operations and manuscripts, coordination of editorial services, University service publications and scholarly journals, journalism and advertising education, library science, WILL radio and television, Allerton Park and House, and personal and professional matters; Radio-Television Ad-hoc Planning Committeee (1975-1978); Media Studies Program proposals (1982-1984).