The University of Illinois Mothers Association was founded in 1923 after two years under the leadership of the Women's League.1 It is a non-profit organization dedicated to service by mothers to the University of Illinois and its students.2 The association is governed by an executive board consisting of a president, 3 vice-presidents, four directors (selected on an area basis), a treasurer, and an executive secretary.3 Funds are deposited with the University Business Office.4 Each county in the state has at least one county chairwoman.5 Membership is open to mothers of all university students.6 There is a quarterly newsletter, Illi Notes, which was first published in 1963, and is mailed to all contributing members.7 Some programs are co-sponsored with the Dads Association but each organization maintains separate administrative and continuing activities.8 Dues cover the cost of programs and activities, one of which is an annual scholarship for the amount of tuition and fees. This scholarship was first awarded in 1952.9
1. County Chairwoman's Handbook, 1971-1972, p. 4.
2. Ibid., title page.
3. Ibid., p. 5.
4. Ibid., p. 5.
5. Ibid., p. 5.
6. University of Illinois Mothers Association (pamphlet)
7. County Chairwoman's Handbook, 1971-1972, p. 10.
8. University of Illinois Mothers Association (pamphlet)
9. County Chairwoman's Handbook, 1971-1972, p. 10.
Description: Publicity file including clippings on Mothers Association activities, addresses by speakers at annual meetings, correspondence concerning events, programs for annual meetings, annual reports by Association presidents; financial reports and lists of members of the Executive Committee, book awards, county chairmen, past presidents and recipients of scholarships. The series includes material on exchange program with Alaska; county chairmen's reports (1956-58, 1962-63) and handbook (1968-69); Helen Hayes' visit (1966); historical information (1925-68); Mother's Day (1923-31, 1965-73); Amelia A. Stern (1963-68); student responses to activity questionnaire (1968) and Survival Kits (1965-68); Joan Campbell, 1981; Frances Bes Watkins, 1977; and Grace Wilson, 1978.