Geography was originally offered by the Department of Natural History.1 The standard course, which was Physical Geography and Meteorology2, was replaced in 1882-83 by a course called Physiography.3 No courses designated as geography were again taught until the Geology Department offered Physical Geography in 1903-04.4
In 1934, the name of the Department of Geology was changed to the Department of Geology and Geography.5 In 1935, the Division of Social Sciences was organized. The faculty of geography was included in the division.6 In 1945, an independent Department of Geography was formed.
The appointment of a department head was authorized in 19478 and he began work in 1949.9 In 1950, the curriculum was reorganized to lead to the M.A. or M.S. degrees and to the Ph.D.10
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 2nd Report, 1868, p. 6.
2. Catalogue and Circular, 1880-81, p. 61.
3. Ibid., 1882-83, p. 61.
4. Register, 1903-04, p. 122. See Economic Geography (Econ 26) in 1902-03, RS 15/10/0/2.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, Jan. 26, 1934, p. 432.
6. Ibid., 38th Report, April 20, 1935, p. 161.
7. Department of Geography Space Needs, Dec. 1947, Department of Geography, Business File, 1945-49, RS 15/10/1, Box 1, University of Illinois Archives.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 487.
Description: Senior Honors Theses (including narrative TEXT, photographs, maps and statistical tables) submitted by students in the Geography Department, concerning the historical geography of Champaign County Illinois, junior high school geography curriculum, strip mining in Illinois, Puerto Rican ports and land usage patterns, Rosewood Beach in Highland Park, Illinois, deforestation in the Amazon River Basin, deforestation of East Central Illinois as related to agricultural production levels, the location of factories in South Holland, Illinois, tropical savannas in Uganda, and statistical anlayses of slope reformation and estimatable differences in a graduated circle.