The Library School of the University of Illinois was founded in September 1893 as the School of Library Economy, and was housed at the Armour Institute in Chicago. In September 1897 the School was moved to the University of Illinois.1 In December 1902, degrees of Bachelor of Arts in Library Science and Bachelor of Library Science were approved.2 The bachelor's degree program was discontinued in 1951.3 In 1950 the Library School was placed under the Dean of the Division of Communications4 but regained its independent status in 1954.5 As of September 1, 1971, the School, which was responsible to the Dean of Library Administration, began reporting directly to the Chancellor.6 In 1962 the Advisory Council of Librarians was created, composed of leading librarians in the state, representing each of the major types of libraries.7 The name of the School was changed in 1959 to the Graduate School of Library Science.8 In 1981, the name was changed again to the Graduate School of Library and Information Science.9 School goals are to prepare librarians and information scientists for professional work through essential basic studies and specialization by course choices and independent studies; to promote and conduct pure and applied research; and to provide public service such as continuing education, publications, and consulting.10
1. Catalogue of the University of Illinois, 1897-98, p. 131.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 22nd Report, December 9, 1902, p. 30.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 46th Report, October 23, 1951, p. 1255.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, February 16, 1950, p. 988.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, April 21, 1954, p. 1323.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, April 21, 1971, p. 267.
7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, July 18, 1962, p. 4.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 23, 1959, p. 439.
9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 61st Report, February 19, 1981, p. 175.
10. Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Announcements 1981, p. 15.
Description: Printed memorials, including an appreciation of Katharine L. Sharp by Frances Simpson (1914) and the program of the ceremonies at the presentation by the Library School Association of a tablet to the memory of Katharine L. Sharp (1922).