The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies coordinates courses and research in the language, history, economics, politics, agriculture of this geographic area. It offers an undergraduate minor and a graduate minor. The organization of these interdisciplinary studies first occurred in 1947-48.1 An undergraduate major and minor in Latin American Studies were both available in 1949-50.2 In 1957, the Trustees recognized a graduate minor in Latin American Studies.3 The "Center for Latin American Studies" was created in 1959 as part of the College of Liberal Arts.4 It was administered by a Program Director (appointed by the President) and by a Latin American Studies Committee composed of representatives of each of departments offering courses in the program.5 On July 23, 1969, the Trustees authorized the discontinuation of the undergraduate major, but the undergraduate and graduate minors were maintained.6 Since September, 1973, the program had been known as the "Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies"--reflecting a broadening of its scope.7 While the program in Latin American studies has always been considered a part of the College of Liberal Arts, it has included courses given by the Colleges of Agriculture, Commerce and Business Administration, and Fine and Applied Arts. On September 20, 1978, the Board of Trustees reauthorized undergraduate specialization in Latin American Studies.8
1. "Latin American Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign", undated brochure.
2. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1949-50, p. 145.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, October 29, 1957, p. 945.
4. "Latin American Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign", undated brochure.
5. Robert L. Carmin, "The Latin American Studies Program of the University of Illinois", a report given by the Program Director to the Vice-President's Advisory Council of the Chicago Professional Colleges, November 10, 1959.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 23, 1969, p. 557.
7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 57th Report, February 23, 1973, p. 162.
8. Public Information Office News Release, September 20, 1978.