In 1925 the Horticulture Department in the College of Agriculture approved a name change in the curriculum from "Landscape Gardening" to Landscape Architecture.1 In 1929 approval was made for the establishment of curricula offering options in City Planning in the Division of Landscape Architecture in the Department of Horticulture.2 In 1931 the College of Fine Arts was organized and included the Division of Landscape Architecture as one of its departments.3 In 1940 the City Planning option in the Landscape Architecture curriculum was withdrawn until such time as the demand called for its reinstatement.4 In 1945 the establishment of the degrees of Master of Science in City Planning and Master of Fine Arts in Landscape Architecture were approved.5 In 1953, the Board of Trustees established6 a new curriculum in city planning and changed the department name to the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture.7 In 1954 the Bureau of Community Planning in the College of Fine and Applied Arts merged with the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture.8 In 1963, the Trustees changed the name of the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture to Department of Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture and the title of the curriculum in city planning to the curriculum in urban planning.9 In 1965 the Department of Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture was divided into two departments, the Department of Landscape Architecture and the Department of Urban Planning.10 The Department of Landscape Architecture offers a four-year undergraduate curriculum leading to the professional degree of Bachelor of Landscape Architecture and a graduate curriculum leading to the Master of Landscape Architecture.11
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 33rd Report, July 28, 1925, p. 297.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 35th Report, December 12, 1929, p. 462.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, March 12, 1931, p. 186.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 40th Report, June 28, 1940, p. 970.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 43rd Report, October 18, 1945, p. 871.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, June 22, 1953, p. 669.
7. Ibid., July 25, 1953, p. 885.
8. Ibid., May 15, 1954, p. 1349.
9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, November 23, 1963, p. 907.
10. Board of Trustees Transactions, 53rd Report, April 23, 1965, p. 499.
Description: Bulletins and announcements of the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture, describing opportunities, listing courses and faculty including short courses, announcing scholarships and awards, giving general information on facilities and research opportunities.