Instruction in astronomy commenced in 1892 as an offering of the Mathematics Department.1 In August 1921, the Board of Trustees authorized that the Division of Astronomy in the Department of Mathematics be organized as a separate Department of Astronomy.2 In 1957, the Department began a program of cooperative investigation with the United States Office of Naval Research3 and, in 1962, the radio telescope site at Vermilion River Observatory was completed.4 The courses offered range from descriptive astronomy to aeronomy,5 with B.S.,6 M.S. and Ph.D. degrees offered.7
1. Catalogs and Registers, 1892-93, p. 57.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 34th Report, August 1, 1921, p. 17.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, April 15, 1957, p. 372.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, November 9, 1962, p. 261.
5. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1972/74, pp. 61-62.
Description: Prairie Observatory Log Books includes procedures, log books, and manuals concerning microphotometer procedures for running both RV and spectrophotometry telescopes; raw data from photometry runs and protocols; Prairie Observatory observing logbook containing reports and correspondence of Dr. Ken Yoss; Prairie Observatory manual containing notes and protocols, Prairie Observatory manual containing narrative and logged data.