Geography was originally offered by the Department of Natural History.1 The standard course, which was Physical Geography and Meteorology2, was replaced in 1882-83 by a course called Physiography.3 No courses designated as geography were again taught until the Geology Department offered Physical Geography in 1903-04.4
In 1934, the name of the Department of Geology was changed to the Department of Geology and Geography.5 In 1935, the Division of Social Sciences was organized. The faculty of geography was included in the division.6 In 1945, an independent Department of Geography was formed.
The appointment of a department head was authorized in 19478 and he began work in 1949.9 In 1950, the curriculum was reorganized to lead to the M.A. or M.S. degrees and to the Ph.D.10
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 2nd Report, 1868, p. 6.
2. Catalogue and Circular, 1880-81, p. 61.
3. Ibid., 1882-83, p. 61.
4. Register, 1903-04, p. 122. See Economic Geography (Econ 26) in 1902-03, RS 15/10/0/2.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, Jan. 26, 1934, p. 432.
6. Ibid., 38th Report, April 20, 1935, p. 161.
7. Department of Geography Space Needs, Dec. 1947, Department of Geography, Business File, 1945-49, RS 15/10/1, Box 1, University of Illinois Archives.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 487.