The Department of Veterinary Pathology and Hygiene became the first department within the College of Veterinary Medicine shortly after the latter's establishment in 1944.1 In 1954, the Department received its own department head, whereas before it had been under the director of the College.2 In 1957, its graduate program was replaced by a new program in the College of Veterinary Medicine.3 Over the years the Department has included nine divisions: Bacteriology, Clinical Pathology, Epizootiology, Extension, Immunization, Parasitology, Pathology, Public Health and Virology.4 In 1975 it had four, Microbiolgoy, Parasitology, Pathology and Public Health and Preventive Medicine.5 In 1979, the department changed its name to the Department of Pathobiology.6
1. Catalogs and Register, 1945-46, p. 401.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, May 15, 1954, p. 1350.
3. Ibid., 49th Report, December 17, 1957, p. 1007.
4. Staff Directories, 1956-1973.
5. Student-Staff Directory, 1975-76, p. 31.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 60th Report, September 20, 1979, pg. 403.
Description: Veterinary Biosciences and Pathobiology Reprints includes reprints from scientific journals of research publications by graduate students and faculty in the departments of Veterinary Biosciences and Veterinary Pathobiology on subjects inculding reproductive health, mutations, nutrition, endocrinology, and parasitology of animals as well as studies of environmental factors and their influence on animal health