On January 8, 1948, the Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of an EDVAC electronic digital computer for research program use.1 On November 19, 1948, the Board approved space for the computer project.2 On January 13, 1949, the Board reallocated funds to university staff for construction of the computer.3 By July 16, 1952, the Digital Computer Laboratory was listed in the university budget.4 In 1954, the laboratory offered "instruction in courses and supervision of theses for individuals specializing in the design and use of the digital computing machinery."5 In 1964, the name was changed from the Digital Computer Laboratory to the Department of Computer Science.6 The department teaches courses in circuit design, computer applications, computer organization, digital computer arithmetic, information retrieval, languages, numerical analysis, patters recognition, software systems, and switching an automata theory.7
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, January 8, 1948, p. 954.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, November 19, 1948, p. 172.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, January 13, 1949, p. 204.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, July 16, 1952, p. 145.
5. Graduate College Catalog, 1954-56, p. 29.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 53rd Report, November 24, 1964, p. 240.