On January 8, 1948, the Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of an EDVAC electronic digital computer for research program use.1 On November 19, 1948, the Board approved space for the computer project.2 On January 13, 1949, the Board reallocated funds to university staff for construction of the computer.3 By July 16, 1952, the Digital Computer Laboratory was listed in the university budget.4 In 1954, the laboratory offered "instruction in courses and supervision of theses for individuals specializing in the design and use of the digital computing machinery."5 In 1964, the name was changed from the Digital Computer Laboratory to the Department of Computer Science.6 The department teaches courses in circuit design, computer applications, computer organization, digital computer arithmetic, information retrieval, languages, numerical analysis, patters recognition, software systems, and switching an automata theory.7
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, January 8, 1948, p. 954.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, November 19, 1948, p. 172.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, January 13, 1949, p. 204.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, July 16, 1952, p. 145.
5. Graduate College Catalog, 1954-56, p. 29.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 53rd Report, November 24, 1964, p. 240.
Description: Printed descriptive brochures on the Department of Computer Science (1965- ), and announcements issued by the Department and the Digital Computer Laboratory (1958-63), including brochures containing lists of staff members, graduate study associated courses offered, facilities and aids in using computers, instructions for admission to the Graduate College, kinds of financial assistance available, fees and expenses; "Research in Computer Science" (1977- ); departmental report listings (1974-93); and announcements of conferences, financial aid and lectures.