Chapter Relations Office | The American Library Association Archives
Name: Chapter Relations Office
Historical Note: The constitution of the ALA (Article X, Section 3) provides that a legally constituted regional organization may become a chapter of the ALA and enjoy the rights and privileges of the organization as specified by the bylaws (1). The bylaws (6.1.1.) specify that the ALA shall send the Chapter affiliations a summary statement of conditions governing chapter affiliation (2). The Chapter Relations Office was officially established in 1979 to carry out this function (3). The madnate of the office was to promote a "sense of identification between the ALA and its chapters" and to promote a sense of awareness of chapter needs (4). The office initially reported to the Executive Director (5). In 1984 the office reported to the Associate Executive Director for Communication Services (6). In 1985 the functions of the office expanded and tis names was changed to the Chapter Relations and Membership Development Office (7).
1. ALA Handbook of Organization, 1985-86, p. 197.
2. ALA Handbook of Organization, 1985-86, p. 210.
3. ALA Council, Minutes, Midwinter Meeting, 1982, vol. 23, p. 11.
4. Chapter Relations Office, Fact Sheet, ca. 1985.
5. ALA Handbook of Organization, 1980-81, p. 143.
6. ALA Staff Organization Chart, ALA Handbook of Organization and Membership Directory, 1984-85, p. 176.
7. ALA Staff Organization Chart, ALA Handbook of Organization, 1985-86, p. 176.