By Sharon Pietryka
Title: Willis H. Kerr Papers, 1918-1919
Primary Creator: Kerr, Willis H. (1885-1953)
Extent: 0.3 Cubic Feet
Arrangement: By subject and chronological thereunder
Subjects: Army Education Committee, Kerr, Willis H., Library Service to Labor, War Services Committee, World War I
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Papers of Willis H. Kerr, Head of the Education Department at the European Headquarters of the ALA Library War Service, relating to the ordering and distributing of books for ALA Educational Libraries at the posts, special educational collections for training schools, collections for AEF detachments at French and British Universities and assembling of collections for Missions to the countries of the Near East. The papers include book lists of reference and educational books, lists of books distributed, correspondence concerning the Education Department's cooperation with the Army Education Commission, the AEF University, the YMCA and the YWCA and reports of the Education Department. The papers include publicity and speech material, personal correspondence and memorabilia and bookplates used by ALA for books placed in universities after World War I.
Willis H. Kerr was the librarian of the Kansas State Normal School. During the First World War, he was Head of the Education Department at the European Headquarters of the ALA Library War Service. He was also an ALA Field Representative, an advisor on books for use by the Army Educational Commission, and a member of the American Expeditionary Forces.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Reconstruction Units, ALA in France Correspondence, 1919
- Folder 2: Overseas Educational List, Overseas Book List, and Reference Books for Hut Libraries, 1918-19
- Folder 3: Missions Correspondence, 1919
- Folder 4: ALA Publicity and Speech Material, 1918
- Digital surrogates available.
- Folder 5: Army Educational Commission, 1918-19
- Folder 6: Army Educational Commission Correspondence, 1918-19
- Folder 7: American Expeditionary Forces University, 1919
- Folder 8: American Library Association and American Expeditionary Forces Reports and Correspondence, 1919
- Folder 9: YWCA Correspondence, 1919
- Folder 10: "Bookplates used by ALA for books placed in foreign universities after World War I", 1919
- Folder 11: Memorabilia of Mary Kerr and Willis Kerr, 1919