By Sharon Pietryka
Title: Executive Director's Scrapbook, 1955-89
Primary Creator: Washington Office
Extent: 0.3 Cubic Feet
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by subject title
Date Acquired: 04/26/1974
Subjects: Bennett, Julia, Library Services and Construction Act, Washington Office
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Executive Director's scrapbook of the Washington Office (1955-56), concerning the Library Services Act (LSA), contains news releases, reprints of the Congressional Record, copies of the LSA, pictures of Senate and House sponsors, photos from House hearings (1955), hearings transcripts, House subcommittee on the LSA photographs (1955), House Report on LSA, published accounts of progress of LSA in Congress, samples of publicity for LSA and memoranda from Julia Bennett, Director, to state library associations regarding the LSA (1955-56).
In 1945 the ALA announced the establishment of the Washington office (1). It began operation on October 1, 1945 (2). It was to be supported by the Library Development Fund which was planned to cover a five year period, but which was discontinued after one year (3).
The function of the Washington office is to maintain a representative of libraries who monitors federal government activities and regulations, makes official comments on proposed regulations and supports legislation benefiting libraries and library service (4) through press, radio, and personal contacts, in cooperation with state and local library agencies (5). The Washington Office reported regularly in the ALA Bulletin (1945-69). Its publications include the ALA Washington Newsletter and a biannual Legislative Report of the ALA Washington Office (1979- ).
The Associate Executive Director of the Washington Office is responsible to the ALA Executive Director (7).
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: ALA Press Releases, 1955-56
- Folder 2: Articles and Publicity, 1955-56
- Folder 3: Congressional Hearings, 1955-56
- Folder 4: Congressional Records, 1955-89
- Includes January 10, 1955; May 8, May 29, and June 2, 1956; April 16, June 19, and December 11, 1985; March 4, 1986; March 23, 1989
- Folder 5: Congressional Reports, 1955-56
- Folder 6: Copy of Scrapbook, 1955-56
- Folder 7: General Correspondence, 1955-56
- Folder 8: House Hearings Photographs, May 25-27, 1955
- Folder 9: Letters to Presidents of State and Regional Associations and Federal Coordinators, 1956