University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. World Heritage Museum | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. World Heritage Museum


Historical Note:

<p class='main'>A Museum of Classical Art and Archaelogy was established in 1911 in the south wing of the fourth floor of Lincoln Hall. At the same time, the European Culture Museum was established in the north wing of the same floor with a collection of materials illustrating the history of European culture (Kultur Historisches Museum).<a href='#ftn1'><sup>1</sup></a> The two museums were combined in 1961 as the Classical and European Culture Museum.<a href='#ftn2'><sup>2</sup></a> Following the recommendations of an Ad hoc Committee on Museums,<a href='#ftn3'><sup>3</sup></a> the museum was renamed in 1971 as the World Heritage Museum to reflect its broad mission in support of teaching and research in the social sciences and humanities.<a href='#ftn4'><sup>4</sup></a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn1'>1.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 26th Report, July 8, 1911, p. 434.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn2'>2.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, August 10, 1961, p. 831.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn3'>3.  Campus Report, Vol 1, No. 5, May 1, 1968.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn4'>4.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, October 20, 1971, p. 424.</a></p>




Page Generated in: 0.107 seconds (using 31 queries).
Using 5.02MB of memory. (Peak of 5.14MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign