University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. University Bands | University of Illinois Archives
Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. University Bands
Historical Note: The University of Illinois Military Band was established in 1870 for the purpose of providing music for functions within the military department of the Illinois Industrial University. From 1868 to 1894, the band was administered by student leaders and from 1895 to 1904 was led by various university faculty members. From 1905 to 1948, Albert Austin Harding led the university band program during which time he brought it to a position of national prominence. Subsequent directors of the Band Department include Mark H. Hindsley (1948-1970), Dr. Harry Begian (1970-1984) and the current director James F. Keene. The Band Department is currently a unit of the University of Illinois School of Music, which is in turn a unit of the College of Fine and Applied Arts. Ensembles under the administration of the Band Department include the UI Wind Symphony, two symphonic bands, three concert bands, a British Brass Band, Clarinet Choir, the UI Basketball Band, the Orange & Blues and the Marching Illini.