University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Architecture | University of Illinois Archives
The 1870-71 University Catalogue and Circular lists the first architecture course and contains an announcement of the School of Architecture which was appended to the College of Engineering.1 In 1873 the Board of Trustees approved the School of Architecture.2 In 1893, the trustees approved curricula for architecture and architectural engineering.3
In 1931 the College of Fine and Applied Arts was formed. It included the Department of Architecture.4 In 1973, the Department of Architecture discontinued offering two graduate degrees; instead, it provided a new Master of Architecture degree which allowed options for subject specialization.5 In 1981 the Department of Architecture was redesignated the School of Architecture.6 The school offers a Bachelors, and a 2 and 3 1/2 year Masters in such specialties as architectural design, history, structures, and technology.7
1. Baker, Ira O. and King, Everett E. A History of the College of Engineering of the University of Illinois 1868-1945, Part 1, (Urbana), p. 290; Fourth Annual Catalogue and Circular of the Illinois Industrial University, 1870-71, p. 32.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 6th Report, 1873, p. 42; Ibid., 17th Report, 1894, p. 330.
3. Ibid., 17th Report, July 6, 1893, pp. 136-139.
4. Ibid., 36th Report, 1931, p. 186-87.
5. Graduate College Catalog, 1972/74, p. 44.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 61st Report, 1980-82, p. 325.
7. Ibid., 61st Report, 1980-82, p. 325; Graduate Programs, 1986-88, p. 78-79.