University of Illinois at Urbana-Chamapaign. College of Veterinary Medicine | University of Illinois Archives
The College of Veterinary Medicine, a professional college with four departments and a diagnostic service was established on June 1, 1944.1 A bill was introduced into the State legislature to establish the college in 1919, but no appropriations were made until 1944.2 The first course in Veterinary Medicine was taught in 1870.3 The Veterinary Infirmary opened January 9, 1871.4 In 1911 the Department of Veterinary Science was organized under the College of Agriculture.5 In 1917, the Department of Veterinary Science was incorporated into the Department of Animal Husbandry under the College of Agriculture.6 In 1941, the Trustees created the Department of Animal Pathology and Hygiene to carry out the instructional and research work formerly located in the Department of Animal Husbandry.7 In 1957, a graduate program in Veterinary Medical Science was begun replacing the existing program in Veterinary Pathology and Hygiene.8
This unit covers:
--Director of Laboratory Animal Care
--Veterinary Medical Research Farm
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 42nd Report, June 1, 1944, p. 958.
2. Ibid., 30th Report, May 16, 1919, p. 333.
3. Ibid., 4th Report, March 7, 1871, p. 66.
4. Ibid., 4th Report, March 15, 1871, p. 101.
5. Ibid., 26th Report, July 8, 1911, p. 448.
6. Ibid., 29th Report, July 31, 1917, p. 461.
7. Ibid., 41st Report, August 5, 1941, p. 410-11.
8. Ibid., 49th Report, December 17, 1957, p. 1007.