University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Engineering | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Engineering
expand icon Show Related Collections


Historical Note:

Organized when the University opened in 1868 and formed as a college in March, 1873, the College of Engineering operates an experiment station, twelve departments, and a graduate program.

The duties of the Dean of the College of Engineering have evolved from being chairman at faculty meetings to being chief administrator for and representative of the College within the University system.1 In this capacity as chief administrator, the Dean has the power to create positions and offices under his direct control in order to meet his obligations to both faculty and students.2

The Measurement Program was created in 1948.3 It is a branch of the Engineering Experiment Station, which was founded in 1909 and placed under the control of the Dean of the College.4 It functions as a service group for the entire campus by calibrating and repairing optical and electrical laboratory equipment used for experimentation or instruction.5

Student Placement is an office providing information and assistance to graduating students seeking employment.6 This office developed as a result of the University's policy of leaving employment counseling to the deans of the colleges.7 Its budget and staff are incorporated into the general administrative allocations of the College.8

The Bioengineering office was created in 1973 when the Urbana-Champaign Senate approved a recommendation from the College of Engineering for the establishment of a bioengineering option. Because students in any of the engineering curricula are eligible to participate in this option, this office was placed under the control of the Dean of the College.9

1. Ira O. Baker and Everett King. A History of the College of Engineering of the University of Illinois, 1868-1945, p. 114-116.

2. Statutes, September 1, 1957, p. 10.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, June 15, 1948, p. 1289.

4. Ira O. Baker and Everett King. A History of the College of Engineering of the University of Illinois, 1868-1945, p. 116.

5. Interview with the Acting Director, February, 1980.

6. Interview with the Assistant Dean, February, 1980.

7. Annual Register, 1943-1944, p. 109.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 41st Report, June 24, 1941, p. 317.

9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 57th Report, March 21, 1973, p. 234.




Page Generated in: 0.175 seconds (using 74 queries).
Using 7.64MB of memory. (Peak of 7.91MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign