University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Division of Accounting | University of Illinois Archives
On September 12, 1905 the Board of Trustees divided the duties of the Business Manager into three positions: comptroller, chief clerk (general financial accountant), and purchasing agent.1 On December 28, 1908 the Board reiterated its decision to divide the duties of the Business Manager.2 In 1977, in addition to the University Chief Accountant, the comptroller's annual report indicated the creation of a chief accountant's position on both campuses.3 However, later annual comptroller reports do not indicate that this position is an office.4 Instead, it was a reporting position within the University Office of Financial Affairs.5 This Office's name was changed to the University Office of Business and Financial Affairs.6 This office reports to the Vice President for Business and Finance who is assigned, among other duties, general oversight of the business and financial affairs of the University.7 In 1986, the title of University Chief Accountant was changed to University Director of Accounting.8
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 23rd Report, September 12, 1905, p. 258.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 25th Report, December 28, 1908, p. 66.
3. Report of the Comptroller for the year ending June 30, 1977, p.2.
4. Report of the Comptroller for the year ending June 30, 1978, p.2.
5. Student/Staff Directory, 1978-79, p. 34.
6. Report of the Comptroller for the year ending June 30, 1981, p.2.
7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 62nd Report, October 21, 1982, pp. 71-72 and November 18, 1982, p. 92.
8. Student/Staff Directory, 1986-87, p. 9.