[Printer Friendly] | [Contact us about this collection]
Title: Larry King Papers and Opera Collection, 1963-1993
Primary Creator: Lawrence Stanford King (1946-1994)
Extent: 0.3 cubic feet
Arrangement: Organized in two series: Series 1, Opera Photographs and Posters; and Series 2, Legal Licenses and Certificates.
Date Acquired: 07/23/2018
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Consists of opera performer publicity photographs, many of which are autographed; autographed opera programs; and opera posters. Also includes King's law licenses from Florida, Illinois, and New York.
Lawrence Stanford King (1946-1994) was an alumnus of University of Illinois (1968) and the University of Illinois College of Law (1973). He practiced corporate law in New York City, and was an avid opera-goer and collector. Upon his death in 1994, his vast collection of musical recordings, scores, opera librettos, photographs, posters, books, and other opera memorabilia was donated by Kingâ??s parents to the Music and Performing Arts Library.
The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
Music and Performing Arts Library
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
[Series 1: Opera Photographs and Posters],
[Series 2: Legal Licenses and Certificates
- Series 1: Opera Photographs and Posters
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Alfredo Kraus publicity photos (autographed), 1966-1993
- Folder 2: Carlo Bergonzi publicity photos (autographed), undated
- Folder 3: Leonie Rysanek publicity photos (autographed), undated
- Folder 4: Samuel Ramey publicity photos (autographed), undated
- Folder 5: Autographed publicity photos, ca. 1963-1978
- Includes Claire Watson, Christa Ludwig, Bidu Sayao, Renata Tebaldi, Karl Bohm, Sesto Bruscantini, Ernst Haefliger, Milen Paunov, Erich Kunz, Birgit Nielsen, Sena Jurinac, Katia Ricciarelli, Tito Gobbi, and Renata Scotto.
- Folder 6: Publicity photos, undated
- Gino Quilico, Eva Marton
- Folder 7: Autographed performance programs, 1977-1982
- Folder 1: Opera posters, ca. 1975
- Includes posters from I Puritani (1976); L'Amore Dei Tre Re; Don Giovanni; Hellera; Iris; Adriana Lecouvreur; Turandot; Parsifal; Tannhauser (1977); L'Assedio Di Corinto (1975); Lorenza; Feste Centenarie Busseto; Isabeau; and Francesca da Rimini.