Classics Department Subject File, 1909-2000
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Subject file of the Classics Department maintained by the Classics Library (1909-2000) contains correspondence (1936-91), appointment letters (1945-78), photographs (1968), news clippings and press releases related to faculty, students, and alumni in the Classics Department (1968-2000), materials relating to the Alpha Kappa chapter of Eta Sigma Phi, the classics honors fraternity (1936-38), text of a course lecture on sports in the ancient world by William Oldfather (ca. 1940), and materials relating to publication of a Festschrift honoring Ben E. Perry (1965); correspondents include William Oldfather, Alexander Turyn, Arthur Pease, Luitpold Wallach, Ben. E. Perry, Robert Scanlon, and Douglas Olson.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/6/2
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Classics
Volume: 0.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 08/26/2008.
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1506002.pdf
Arrangement: Alphabetically by subject, and then chronologically
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Classics :

The Department of the Latin Language and Literature and the Department of Greek Language and Literature became a part of the initial curriculum (1868) of the university.--1 In 1871, they were consolidated into the School of Ancient Languages and Literature within the College of Literature and Science.--2 In 1885, the university shortened the name of the school to the School of Ancient Languages and in 1891 placed it in the new College of Literature.--3 In 1893, the Department of Greek and the Department of Latin succeeded the School of Ancient Languages in the College of Literature (the College of Literature and Arts after 1894).--4 In 1905, the Board of Trustees, acting on the recommendation of the president, created the Department of Classics and authorized the naming of a head.--5 In 1913, the department became a part of the newly established College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.--6 Within this college it has been a part of the Division of Language and Literature from 1935 to 1945 and the Division of Humanities since 1945.--7 The department has added three areas of concentration to those of Greek and Latin. These are Classical Civilization (1965), Hebrew (1970) and Classical Archeology (1971).--8 The department offers degree programs through the Ph.D. level.

1. Circular and Catalog, 1868-69, p. 10.

2. Catalog and Circular, 1871-72, p. 25.

3. Catalog and Circular, 1885-86, p. 76; Catalog and Circular, 1891-92, p. 111.

4. Catalog and Circular, 1893-94, p. 72-73; Catalog and Circular, 1894-95, p. 23.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 23rd Report, June 2, 1905, p. 75.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, July 5, 1912, p. 71; Annual Register, 1913-14, p. 155.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 38th Report, April 20, 1935, p. 162-63; Annual Register, 1945-46, p. 137.

8. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1965-66, p. 55; Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1970-71, p. 72; Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1971-72, p. 77.

Languages of Materials
Latin [lat]
Greek,Ancient(to1453) [grc]
German [ger]
Acquisition Notes: Classics Library