Histories and Guides, 1969-
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Releases describing the facilities of the Center for the Performing Arts, plans and the details of the Center's construction.  The series includes Krannert Center for the Performing Arts:  The Concept and Design (75 pp), an illustrated publication tracing the planning and dedication of the Center.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 12/12/801
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
Volume: 0.2 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/69
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Krannert Center for the Performing Arts :

Established in 1962 as a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Herman Krannert of Indianapolis, the center is a unit of the College of Fine and Applied Arts. It was created to provide "a central facility where academic training and public performance could be carried out under the best conditions."1 The center, designed by architect Max Abramovitz, '29, houses in one structure a music auditorium, a music theatre, a drama theatre, an experimental theatre, an outdoor theatre, offices, rehearsal rooms, dressing rooms and parking.2 Construction on the center began on August 1, 1966 and the dedication festival was held April 19-May 18, 1969.3

1. The Story and Facts About the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, p. 1.

2. Trustees Reports, 53rd Report, September 16, 1964, p. 99.

3. The Story and Facts About the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, pp. 4-5.

Subject Index
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
Languages of Materials
English [eng]