Subject File, 1931-1986
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Subject File of the Dean's office contains course schedules and descriptions, committee reports relating to administrative matters, correspondance concerning professional societies, exhibits (1933-61), scholarship and fellowship, faculty research and publications; also includes files on the Departments of Architecture (1932-70); Art (1931-69); City Planning and Landscape Architecture (1931-65); the School of Music (1932-68); Allerton House (1944-68); National Clearinghouse for Correctional Programming and Architecture (1971-80); Chicago Undergraduate Division (1953-65); Kinley Fellowships (1963-69); provost (1936-67); Senate (1956-67); administrative and research correspondance of Deans Reford Newcomb (1932-54) and Allen S. Weller (1954-71); Council of Program Evaluation (COPE) (1974-1978); Krannert Art Museum (1966-1981); Krannert Center (1968-1981); Arts in Motion (1978); Lorado Taft House (1981); and Theater Department (1970-1982).
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 12/1/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Fine Arts and Applied Arts
Volume: 14.0 cubic feet
Acquired: 1/7/66; 7/18/73; 4/19/86; 12/19/94; 1/8/03; 7/2003
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1201001.pdf
Arrangement: Alphabetical by subject and chronological thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Fine Arts and Applied Arts :

Architecture was originally a department of the College of Engineering1 and was called the School of Architecture in 1871.2 In 1915 it became the College of Architecture, separate from the College of Engineering.3

The first drawing teacher was hired in 18714 and the School of Art first appears in the records in 1876.5 The School of Design was proposed in 18766 and implemented in 1877.7 In 1931 the title of the Department of Art and Design was changed to the Department of Art.8

In 1870 a group of sixteen students requested and received brass instruments and instruction for a military band for the University Battalion.9 Keyboard instruction was offered by 187210 and in 1876 an organ and director acquired for the formation of a choir for daily chapel exercise.11 After several year's discussion, the Department of Music was established in 1895.12

A proposal was made by the University Senate on October 3, 1921 to organize the Department of Architecture, the Division of Landscape Architecture, the School of Music and the Department of Art and Design into a College of Fine Arts. A committee of the faculty was appointed in 1928 to make recommendations which were approved by the Senate on February 2, 1930. On March 12, 1931, the Board of Trustees established the college for the "... cultivation of esthetic taste on the part of the student body at large ... and development of general artistic appreciation."13 The first dean was appointed in 1932.14

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, 1870-71, p. 33.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 5th Report, 1871-72, p. 40.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 28th Report, May 22, 1915, p. 439.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, August 2, 1871, p. 137.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, 1876 Circular.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, June 6, 1876, p. 183.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 9th Report, 1877, p. 21.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, June 26, 1931, p. 374.

9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, November 10, 1870, p. 122.

10. Board of Trustees Transactions, 6th Report, 1872-73, p. 55.

11. Board of Trustees Transactions, 9th Report, 1876/78, p. 10.

12. Board of Trustees Transactions, 18th Report, March 2, 1895, p. 73.

13. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, March 12, 1931, p. 186-87.

14. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th(?) Report, March 8, 1932, p. 547.

Subject Index
Allerton Park
American Institute of Architects
Architecture Department
Art Department
Campus Planning
Chicago Undergraduate Division
City Planning and Landscape Architecture Department
College Art Association
Community Planning
Contemporary Arts Festival
Council on Program Evaluation (COPE)
Exhibits
Fine and Applied Arts, College of
Krannert Art Museum
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
Music, School of
National Clearinghouse for Criminal Justice Planning and Architecture
Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]