CSX-1 Computer File, 1961-81
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Subject file of the CSX-1 Computer (commissioned 1962, decommissioned 1981).  In 1960 work began in the coordinated Science Laboratory on the CSX-1, a short wordlength (16 bits) computer designed mainly for non-numerical operations to assist studies in artificial intelligence and symbolic data processing.  The series includes articles, manuals, reports, specifications, lists and tables concerning construction, operation and maintenance of the CSX-1.  the series also includes flowcharts, diagrams and tables detailing the logical description, instruction code, circuitry and interconnections, input-output, and order cycle of the computer.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 11/10/18
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Physics
Volume: 2.0 cubic feet
Acquired: 1/12/82
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1110018.pdf
Arrangement: By form of material and alphabetical or chronological thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Physics :

Courses in chemical physics and higher physics were listed in the 1868-69 catalogue.1 In 1870-71, the Board of Trustees listed Stillman W. Robinson as professor of Physics, and, in 1871-72, they listed Physics and Astronomy as a "department of study."2 Course catalogs for 1876-77 through 1890-91 refer to a "course in physics" as part of the curriculum of the four schools in the College of Engineering.3 In 1886, the Physics course was divided, offering a general course, and one for engineering.4 Until 1889-90, when Samuel W. Stratton assumed teaching responsibilities in Physics, the courses were usually taught by the heads of the departments of Mechanical and Mining Engineering.5 Upon Stratton's formal appointment as Assistant Professor of Physics, the scope of instruction in Physics was expanded and Physics emerged as separate department in 1890-91.6

Graduate work in Physics leading to the Master's and Ph.D. were offered through the Graduate College after its establishment in 1907. The first Ph.Ds. in Physics were awarded in 1910, and an undergraduate program leading to the Bachelor's of Science in Engineering was approved in 1917 and the first B.S. was awarded in 1923.7 The aims of the department are to offer "a curriculum in engineering physics to give . . . training in fundamental physics and mathematics." The department has "extensive facilities for instruction and investigation in physics."8 Physics is available as a field of concentration and as a major leading to the Bachelor's of Science degree within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.9

1. Catalogues and Circulars, 1868-69, pp. 26-27.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, 1870-71, p. 45; 5th Report, p. 56.

3. Catalogues & Circulars, 1876-77 to 1890-91.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 13th Report, 1884-86, p. 159.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 15th Report, 1888-90, December 10, 1889, p. 114.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 15th Report, 1888-90, June 10, 1890, pp. 148-49, 160.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 24th Report, 1906-08, June 10, 1907, p. 133. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1916-18, June 25, 1917, pp. 392-93.

8. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1969-70, p. 266.

9. Undergraduate Programs, 1987-90, p. 274, 287-88.

Subject Index
Computers
Computer Software
Coordinated Science Laboratory
Genres/Forms of Material
Other Pictorial
Languages of Materials
English [eng]