Departmental Publications, 1908-09, 1916, 1920, 1935, 1940-42, 1946-
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Printed and duplicated publications and issuances of the department, including "Notes on Elementary Machine Design for Students" (1909), a banquet menu (1916); alumni lists (1908-09, 1968); a statement on research cooperation (1942); a faculty handbook containing photographs and biographical information (1947); faculty directory (1960); a 60-page memorial booklet on George Goodenough by Seichi Konzo (1972); a report on a shared professorship endowed by the ALCOA Foundation (1970); a centennial fund brochure (1970); faculty retirement banquet programs; a talk on engineering education by Norman Parker (1949) and materials on mechanical engineering; Notes on Humidity and Air Conditioning by L.A. Harding (ca. 1935); Atmospheric Environment Research Program Statement by M.K. Fahnestuck (1942); "Quantitative Approaches to the Management of Information/Document Retrieval at The University of Illinois", (1975) and the MechSE 2008 newsletter.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 11/8/801
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Volume: 0.3 cubic feet
Acquired: 09/01/1963. Additions acquired 2/16/2015.
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering :

The 1867 Catalogue of the Illinois Industrial University listed Mechanical Science and Art in the Polytechnic Department.1 In 1870, the first professor of the Department of Mechanical Science was appointed to the Chair of Mechanical Science and Engineering.2

On September 1, 1940, the Department of Railway Engineering was discontinued and some of its courses and faculty were transferred to the Mechanical Engineering Department.3 A new curriculum leading to a B.S. in Industrial Engineering began to be administered by the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1952.4 The name of the department was changed in 1960 to the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.5

1. Catalogue and Circular, 1867, p. 6.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 3rd Report, March 8, 1870, p. 47.

3. Ibid., 40th Report, June 28, 1940, p. 971

4. Ibid., 46th Report, March 12, 1952, pp. 1410-11

5. Ibid., 50th Report, April 20, 1960, p. 1257.

Subject Index
Mechanical Engineering Department
Languages of Materials
English [eng]