Chemistry Department Subject File, 1939-2000
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: School of Chemical Sciences Subject File includes correspondence with administrators, deans, department heads, faculty and guests lecturers; reports, memoranda, and publications of the deparment of Chemistry and School of Chemical Sciences related to academic policy; admissions; affirmative action; student and faculty awards and honors;  building projects; department, school, and campus committees; courses and curricula; departmental history; fellowships and teaching assistants; graduate admissions and recruiting; professional societies and organizations; relations with school, university, and private/corporate institutions; research grants; space allocation; and sabbaticals.  Principal correspondents include Paul Bohn, Harold E. Carter, Karl Folkers,  H.S. Gutowsky, John P. Hummel, Jiri Jonas, Carl S. Marvel, Timothy A. Nieman, Tim O'Neil, Gary Schuster.  Topics include the American Chemical Society; Beckman Institute; Council for Chemical Research; CERL; Department of Biochemistry;  Department of Chemcial Engineering; Dow Chemical Company; DuPont;  Eastman Kodak Company; Exxon; General Chemistry Program; College of Language Arts and Sciences; National Science Foundation programs, proposals, grants, and fellowships; patents; Proctor and Gambel; Research Board; service facilities; Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/5/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. School of Chemical Sciences
Volume: 46.0 cubic feet
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1505001.pdf
Arrangement: Alphabetical
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. School of Chemical Sciences :

In May 1867, the Committee in Courses of Study and Faculty proposed a Department of Chemistry and Natural Sciences.1 In 1873 the College of Natural Science included the School of Chemistry.2 The School of Chemistry was part of the College of Science in 1891.3 In 1894 courses in Chemical Engineering were arranged under a separate department called the Department of Applied Chemistry.4 On August 16, 1903, the Department of Applied Chemistry was discontinued and one Department of Chemistry was reestablished.5 In 1912 it became part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.6 In 1953 the department changed its name to Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering with divisions of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. The Chemistry Division included Analytic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry.7 In 1970 this department was reorganized within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences into the School of Chemical Sciences with the departments of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry.8

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, May 8, 1867, p. 50.

2. Ibid., 6th Report, March 11, 1873, p. 70.

3. Catalogs and Registers, 1891-92, p. 97.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 17th Report, August 1, 1894, p. 268.

5. Ibid., 22nd Report, August 16, 1903, p. 329.

6. Ibid., 27th Report, July 5, 1912, p. 71.

7. Centennial 1967, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Urbana, p. 31.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, April 15, 1970, p. 886.

Subject Index
Abbott Laboratories
Alpha Chi Sigma
American Chemical Society
Beckman Institute
Chemistry
Chemistry Department
Chemistry Library
Committees
Courses
Faculty Salaries
Fellowships
History of Chemistry
Liberal Arts and Sciences, College of
Materials Research Laboratory
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Phi Lambda Upsilon
University of Illinois Center for Advanced Study
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]