Bulletins, 1918-1947
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Printed Bulletins, published irregularly, representing reports of results of original investigations carried on through the Bureau by staff members, faculty, the High School Visitor, graduate students and researchers. The series also includes proceedings of symposia and conferences.

Accounts of research transmitted by, but not carried on by, the Bureau, and communications to state educators, are published in the series of Circulars 10/10/0/2.

An index is found in the back of each volume of Publications of the Bureau of Educational Research.

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 10/10/801
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Bureau of Educational Research
Volume: 0.6 cubic feet
Acquired: September 1963
Arrangement: by series number
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Bureau of Educational Research :

A Bureau of Educational Research was established on June 1, 1918, in the School of Education for the purpose of investigating the problems of teaching and school administration, collecting information concerning the best educational practices of this and other countries, and placing the results obtained before the schools of this state.1 During the 1920's and early 1930's the Bureau grew to include a staff of eight, but the economic necessities of the Depression reduced the staff to two.2 Following World War II, the Bureau expanded again and took on new duties. In 1947, after becoming the coordinating office for the Field Service Program, the Bureau was reorganized as the Bureau of Research and Service.3 This reorganization meant more community-oriented programs such as in-service training for teachers, direction of school surveys, and publication of helpful material for school personnel.4 In 1952, the Field Service Program was severed from the Bureau, and once again the Bureau became known as the Bureau of Educational Research.5

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, June 1, 1918, p. 759.

2. College of Education: Bureau of Research and Service: History, Functions, Service. University of Illinois. June, 1950, p. 7 (pamphlet) RS 10/10/10/10.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 486; personal interview with Professor William P. McClure, Director of Bureau of Educational Research, February 3, 1974.

4. College of Education: Bureau of Research and Service: History, Functions, Service. University of Illinois. June, 1950, p. 10 (pamphlet) RS 10/10/10/10.

5. Personal interview with Professor William P. McClure, Director of the Bureau of Educational Research, February 3, 1974.

Subject Index
Graduate Study
Secondary Schools
Languages of Materials
English [eng]