CEMREL Aesthetic Education Program Slides, 1967-78
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: CEMREL Aesthetic Education Program Slides include slides used by aesthetic educational programs and projects in the research and development of curriculum packages and final production copies of slides that formed part of published curricular packages. Slides supported curricular materials for major series on aesthetics in the physical world, arts elements, the creative process, the artist, culture, and environment and other aesthetic education projects. The series includes slide shows designed to enhance teaching units; artwork, slides made by CEMREL personnel and by children of their artwork, and slides produced by Freer Gallery of Art, Norosti Press Agency (Leningrad) and other outside sources, and slides used as source material for projects. Images include art objects, classroom scenes, children, abstracts, nature, urban environments, and architecture, with an emphasis on places in the St. Louis area.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 10/10/112
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Bureau of Educational Research
Volume: 15.0 cubic feet
Acquired: 5/24/85
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1010112.pdf
Arrangement: Numerical
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Bureau of Educational Research :

A Bureau of Educational Research was established on June 1, 1918, in the School of Education for the purpose of investigating the problems of teaching and school administration, collecting information concerning the best educational practices of this and other countries, and placing the results obtained before the schools of this state.1 During the 1920's and early 1930's the Bureau grew to include a staff of eight, but the economic necessities of the Depression reduced the staff to two.2 Following World War II, the Bureau expanded again and took on new duties. In 1947, after becoming the coordinating office for the Field Service Program, the Bureau was reorganized as the Bureau of Research and Service.3 This reorganization meant more community-oriented programs such as in-service training for teachers, direction of school surveys, and publication of helpful material for school personnel.4 In 1952, the Field Service Program was severed from the Bureau, and once again the Bureau became known as the Bureau of Educational Research.5

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, June 1, 1918, p. 759.

2. College of Education: Bureau of Research and Service: History, Functions, Service. University of Illinois. June, 1950, p. 7 (pamphlet) RS 10/10/10/10.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 486; personal interview with Professor William P. McClure, Director of Bureau of Educational Research, February 3, 1974.

4. College of Education: Bureau of Research and Service: History, Functions, Service. University of Illinois. June, 1950, p. 10 (pamphlet) RS 10/10/10/10.

5. Personal interview with Professor William P. McClure, Director of the Bureau of Educational Research, February 3, 1974.

Subject Index
Aesthetic Education
Curriculum Development
Instructional Resources
Photographs
Languages of Materials
English [eng]