Library Blueprints, 1913, 1927-28, 1954, 1964, 1968, 1973-77, 1981-82, 1989-90, 1995
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Library blueprints, consisting of blueprints (1927, 1928), listings of materials, specifications and bid documents for stack room additions 2 and 3 of the Main Library. Included for stack decks and levels are such items as pilot plans, structural designs and specifications, placement of electrical wiring, plumbing, roofing, passenger elevator, rivet configurations for girders, stair framing, heating and ventilating ducts and location of struts, beams, trusses, and columns. Also included are details of exterior facades of the Main Library with designs and specifications for such fixtures as fresh air intakes, wrought iron rails, braces, ornamentation, stone cornices, brick arches, windows, door jambs, vestibules and exterior electrical lamps. These all relate to addition number 3. A number of listings of specifications and bid documents relating to Library stack additions number 1 (1914), numbers 2 and 3 (1927, 1928), and number 6 (1981-82) are included. Among these are sheet metal and roofing specifications for addition number 2; specifications for an automatic elevator; plumbing specifications for addition number 3; ventilating specifications for addition number 2; a bid document for sidewalks; bid and specifications document for electrical wiring for addition numbers 2 and 3; specifications for steel bookstacks and a bid document for interior hardware for addition number 3. This series includes blueprints for the undergraduate library, an upgrade of the Main Library Fire Alarm and Emergency Lighting Systems (1989-90) and remodeling the Horticultural Field laboratory for the University Archives (1995).
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 37/2/10
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Division of Architecture
Volume: 4.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/63; 1/97
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/3702010.pdf
Arrangement: by Library addition and by INT date thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Division of Architecture :

The position of Supervising Architect was created on June 4, 1907.1 The Department of Buildings and Grounds was placed under the direction of the Supervising Architect in July 1912.2 On May 22, 1934 the Supervising Architect's Office became the Physical Plant Department.3 In the University statutes adopted by the Board of Trustees on March 10, 1936, the duties of the Department comprised seven functions of which the two major ones were operation and maintenance and architecture.4 By 1948 the Department had two division, Architecture and Buildings and Grounds.5

The Architectural Division was responsible for the supervision of all new construction on the Champaign-Urbana campus, from the time of the development of preliminary drawings and specifications until the time of construction and occupancy. It served as a liaison with the Board of Trustees in hiring architects. The Division worked with operational systems to see that they were compatible with other University functions, worked with the contractor, checked out buildings and, in some instances, acted as its own architect in doing small designing and remodeling.

In 1967 there was a complete reorganization and the Architectural Division disappeared. Alterations to existing buildings became the responsibility of Campus Directors of Physical Plant while planning and construction of new buildings, additions to existing buildings, landscape and site development related to these projects, and land acquisition (excluding the Airport, Allerton Park, experimental farms and areas, and properties maintained by the Athletic Association) became the responsibility of the University Director of Physical Plant, Planning and Construction.6

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 24th Report, June 4, 1907, pp. 107-08.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, July 5, 1912, p. 67.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, May 22, 1934, p. 568.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 38th Report, March 10, 1936, p. 595.

5. Faculty Directory 1948-49, p. 38.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, Oct. 16, 1967, pp. 771-72.

Subject Index
Building Plans
Library
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]