Scrapbooks, 1929-59
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Scrapbooks and newspaper clippings relating to faculty appointments, art exhibitions, student awards and prizes, concerts, student recitals, music clinics, courses, lectures, obituaries, scholarships, visiting artists and musicians, Festival of Contemporary Arts (1953-59), Austin A. Harding and the University Band, Lorado Taft lectureships and other topics.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 12/1/12
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Fine Arts and Applied Arts
Volume: 2.4 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/26/74
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1201012.pdf
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Fine Arts and Applied Arts :

Architecture was originally a department of the College of Engineering1 and was called the School of Architecture in 1871.2 In 1915 it became the College of Architecture, separate from the College of Engineering.3

The first drawing teacher was hired in 18714 and the School of Art first appears in the records in 1876.5 The School of Design was proposed in 18766 and implemented in 1877.7 In 1931 the title of the Department of Art and Design was changed to the Department of Art.8

In 1870 a group of sixteen students requested and received brass instruments and instruction for a military band for the University Battalion.9 Keyboard instruction was offered by 187210 and in 1876 an organ and director acquired for the formation of a choir for daily chapel exercise.11 After several year's discussion, the Department of Music was established in 1895.12

A proposal was made by the University Senate on October 3, 1921 to organize the Department of Architecture, the Division of Landscape Architecture, the School of Music and the Department of Art and Design into a College of Fine Arts. A committee of the faculty was appointed in 1928 to make recommendations which were approved by the Senate on February 2, 1930. On March 12, 1931, the Board of Trustees established the college for the "... cultivation of esthetic taste on the part of the student body at large ... and development of general artistic appreciation."13 The first dean was appointed in 1932.14

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, 1870-71, p. 33.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 5th Report, 1871-72, p. 40.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 28th Report, May 22, 1915, p. 439.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, August 2, 1871, p. 137.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, 1876 Circular.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, June 6, 1876, p. 183.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 9th Report, 1877, p. 21.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, June 26, 1931, p. 374.

9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, November 10, 1870, p. 122.

10. Board of Trustees Transactions, 6th Report, 1872-73, p. 55.

11. Board of Trustees Transactions, 9th Report, 1876/78, p. 10.

12. Board of Trustees Transactions, 18th Report, March 2, 1895, p. 73.

13. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, March 12, 1931, p. 186-87.

14. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th(?) Report, March 8, 1932, p. 547.

Subject Index
Art Exhibitions
Bands
Contemporary Arts Festival
Lorado Taft Lectures
Music, School of
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]