Classica Americana, 1935-1941
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Manuscripts and work papers for the Classica Americana, a bibliography of classical writing and scholarship by Americans, compiled under the direction of Professor William A. Oldfather and including much 19th Century scholarly work not listed in other bibliographies. The series contains descriptions of the project and correspondence with American classicists regarding biographical and bibliographical data. The series includes a 92 page list of abbreviations.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/6/15
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Classics
Volume: 5.0 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/63
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1506015.pdf
Arrangement: by type of material (workpapers and two drafts)
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Classics :

The Department of the Latin Language and Literature and the Department of Greek Language and Literature became a part of the initial curriculum (1868) of the university.--1 In 1871, they were consolidated into the School of Ancient Languages and Literature within the College of Literature and Science.--2 In 1885, the university shortened the name of the school to the School of Ancient Languages and in 1891 placed it in the new College of Literature.--3 In 1893, the Department of Greek and the Department of Latin succeeded the School of Ancient Languages in the College of Literature (the College of Literature and Arts after 1894).--4 In 1905, the Board of Trustees, acting on the recommendation of the president, created the Department of Classics and authorized the naming of a head.--5 In 1913, the department became a part of the newly established College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.--6 Within this college it has been a part of the Division of Language and Literature from 1935 to 1945 and the Division of Humanities since 1945.--7 The department has added three areas of concentration to those of Greek and Latin. These are Classical Civilization (1965), Hebrew (1970) and Classical Archeology (1971).--8 The department offers degree programs through the Ph.D. level.

1. Circular and Catalog, 1868-69, p. 10.

2. Catalog and Circular, 1871-72, p. 25.

3. Catalog and Circular, 1885-86, p. 76; Catalog and Circular, 1891-92, p. 111.

4. Catalog and Circular, 1893-94, p. 72-73; Catalog and Circular, 1894-95, p. 23.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 23rd Report, June 2, 1905, p. 75.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, July 5, 1912, p. 71; Annual Register, 1913-14, p. 155.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 38th Report, April 20, 1935, p. 162-63; Annual Register, 1945-46, p. 137.

8. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1965-66, p. 55; Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1970-71, p. 72; Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1971-72, p. 77.

Subject Index
Classica Americana
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]