Departmental Subject File, 1914-17, 1928-65, 1926-1981
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Departmental subject file, including correspondence of botany department heads and chairman Charles F. Hottes (1932-38), John t. Buchholz (1938-42), Oswald Tippo (1947-55), John Laughnan (1956-59, 1963-65) and Wilson Stewart (1959-63) with faculty and administrative staff at Illinois and other institutions, equipment and supply dealers, commercial research directors and students; reports; publications; clippings; course outlines; relating to botanical and genetics research, curriculum, courses, publication of papers, professional associations, instructional material, equipment and supplies, space allocations, specimens, appointments to the faculty, placement of graduates, admission to graduate work, research grants, departmental and social affairs, annual reports; faculty/staff meeting minutes; COPE reports; social committee; and related administrative and academic matters, non-academic and civil service employees.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/4/2
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Plant Biology
Volume: 7.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 07/20/1966. 8/15/69; 2/26/74; 4/5/74; 11/20/2018
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1504002.pdf
Arrangement: Chronological and alphabetical by subject or correspondent thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Plant Biology :

Concerned with the classification and overall ecology of plants,1 this department had its origins in 1893 as the Department of Botany.2 However, courses in the discipline have been offered through: Department of Science, Literature, and the Arts (1868);3 Department of Natural History (1868-69);4 College of Natural History, School of Natural History (1870);5 College of Natural Science, School of Natural History (1871-1890);6 College of Science, School of Natural History (1891-1912);7 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (1913-present).8

The Botany Department was consolidated in 1934 into a Division of Biological Sciences with the Departments of Bacteriology, Entomology, Physiology, and Zoology.9 In 1959, the Division was converted to a School of Life Sciences.10 The Botany Department changed its name to the Department of Plant Biology to "better reflect the mission of the Department in terms of teaching and research...."11

1. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1972/74, p. 237.

2. Catalogs and Registers, 1893/4, p. 4.

3. Ibid., 1868, p. 6.

4. Ibid., 1868/69, p. 8.

5. Ibid., 1870/71, pp. 24, 33.

6. Ibid., 1871/72, p. 25.

7. Ibid., 1891/92. p. 103.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, March 11, 1913, p. 200.

9. Ibid., 37th Report, January 26, 1934, p. 432.

10. Ibid., 50th Report., June 23, 1959, p. 435.

11. Ibid., 62nd Report, May 19, 1983, p. 230.

Subject Index
Conifers
Council on Program Evaluation (COPE)
Curriculum
Embryology
Faculty Meetings
Genetics
Plant Pathology
World War II - Service and Training
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]