Departmental Correspondence, 1879, 1894-1912
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Letterpress copybooks containing the departmental correspondence of Botany Professor Thomas J. Burrill with presidents, deans, faculty, faculty at other universities, the superintendent of buildings and the registrar concerning botany; bacteriology; vegetable physiology; organic evolution; plants; botanical laboratory; herbarium; bacteriological examination of Illinois River waters; analysis of milk and water for typhoid germs; ordering scientific equipment like lenses and microscopes; purchasing collections of plants; ordering books; publications; university policy respecting women, walks and smoking; copies of quizzes, final examinations and class grade lists; departmental budgets; letters of recommendation; faculty appointments and salaries; fellowships and scholarships; graduate degree residency requirements; registration; personal requests and travel.

The letterbooks contain some correspondence relating to Burrill's responsibilities as president of the State Horticultural Society, 1879; vice president and dean of faculty; bacteriological responsibilities and personal activities like his 1901-02 Arkansas land investments.

For other Burrill correspondence see Record Series 5/1/20, 7/1/1/, 8/2/11, 15/4/20.

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/4/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Plant Biology
Volume: 0.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/1963
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1504001.pdf
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Plant Biology :

Concerned with the classification and overall ecology of plants,1 this department had its origins in 1893 as the Department of Botany.2 However, courses in the discipline have been offered through: Department of Science, Literature, and the Arts (1868);3 Department of Natural History (1868-69);4 College of Natural History, School of Natural History (1870);5 College of Natural Science, School of Natural History (1871-1890);6 College of Science, School of Natural History (1891-1912);7 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (1913-present).8

The Botany Department was consolidated in 1934 into a Division of Biological Sciences with the Departments of Bacteriology, Entomology, Physiology, and Zoology.9 In 1959, the Division was converted to a School of Life Sciences.10 The Botany Department changed its name to the Department of Plant Biology to "better reflect the mission of the Department in terms of teaching and research...."11

1. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1972/74, p. 237.

2. Catalogs and Registers, 1893/4, p. 4.

3. Ibid., 1868, p. 6.

4. Ibid., 1868/69, p. 8.

5. Ibid., 1870/71, pp. 24, 33.

6. Ibid., 1871/72, p. 25.

7. Ibid., 1891/92. p. 103.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, March 11, 1913, p. 200.

9. Ibid., 37th Report, January 26, 1934, p. 432.

10. Ibid., 50th Report., June 23, 1959, p. 435.

11. Ibid., 62nd Report, May 19, 1983, p. 230.

Subject Index
Agricultural Education
Alcoholism
Bacteriology
Forestry
Plant Pathology
Pollution
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]