Theta Nu Epsilon Records, 1910-1923 | University of Illinois Archives
Series Number: 41/71/589
Volume: 0.8 cubic feet
Available for use at:
|Archives Research Center, 1707 S. Orchard||1-2|
|Online: See links above or contact us for help.||e-rec|
Description: Records of Theta Nu Epsilon social fraternity including constitutions (1910, 1913, 1920), correspondence, initiation forms, membership lists, minutes (1912), petitions (1911-12), photographs, reports (1915-17), and Theta Nu Epsilon Quarterly (1912-16, fraternity magazine) concerning Theta Nu Epsilon chapters, conventions, finances, government, and members. These were the records of Clarence J. Hand, the fraternity's historian from 1910-23. Founded at Wesleyan University in 1870, Theta Nu Epsilon was primarily a social fraternity for sophomores that accepted members of other fraternities. It fell into disrepute early and many of its chapters were banned from campuses, but continued to exist sub rosa. The last legitimate chapter ceased to exist in 1942. See Baird's Manual (1991) for more details.