West European Studies Publications, 1974-75, 1981-
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: West European Studies Publications including report on faculty research (1974), a brochure and a newsletter (1981).
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 24/2/845
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Office of International Programs and Studies
Volume: 0.1 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/1974
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Office of International Programs and Studies :

The Office of International Programs and Studies (OIPS) was established by the Board of Trustees on May 24, 1962; its Director was given general responsibilities to supervise and coordinate programs, encourage instruction and research, and disseminate information.1 The office works with other administrative units, and through its own specialized units. As of 1984, OIPS administered seven units. The Center for International Comparative Studies was founded in 1964 to support faculty research "along cross-cultural... lines."2 The Midwest Universities Consortium for International Activities, Inc. (MUCIA), an organization to help midwestern universities coordinate and fund overseas research, was established in 1964, and the Urbana office opened the same year.3 The OIPS Committee on Publications has sponsored the publication by the University of Illinois Press of monographs in fields of international studies since 1972.4 The Office of International Faculty and Staff Affairs has supervised the "sponsoring and employing of foreign visitors and staff" since November, 1980.5 The Office of Women in International Development was formed in 1980 to promote research and to disseminate information about that area of study.6 The Study Abroad Office provides information and counseling for students who wish to study abroad.7 It was established in 1969.8 The Foreign Visitors Office dates from 1963,9 and the Overseas Projects Office from 1969.10 The two offices were merged in 1975.11 The Illinois Tehran Research Unit was organized in 1969 to coordinate research and exchange between the University of Illinois and the University of Tehran, Iran.12 The Unit was abandoned after 1979.13

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, May 24, 1962, p. 1442-3; The Future--International Programs at the University of Illinois: A Ten-Year Glimpse. Report and recommendations of the Chancellor's Ad Hoc Committee on International Programs. May 1, 1968, p. 4. (RS: 24/2/802)

2. Ibid., p. 13.

3. International Programs and Studies, 1969-1970. University of Illinois, p. 78.

4. International Programs and Studies, 1981-84. University of Illinois, p. 106.

5. Ibid., p. 90.

6. Ibid., p. 113.

7. International Programs and Studies, 1974-1976. University of Illinois, p. 113.

8. Staff Directory, 1969/1970: University of Illinois/Urbana-Champaign Campus, p. 42.

9. Staff Directory, 1963/1964: University of Illinois/Departments in Urbana-Champaign, p. xxxv.

10. Staff Directory 1969/1970, p. 42.

11. Student-Staff Directory, 1975-76: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, p. 23.

12. International Programs and Studies, 1977-80. University of Illinois, p. 100.

13. It is absent from International Programs and Studies, 1981-84, despite large writeups in the previous three publications.

Subject Index
West European Studies
Languages of Materials
English [eng]