Announcements, 1965-
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Printed announcements of faculty, graduate programs, fellowships, assistantships and scholarships.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/20/801
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Slavic Languages and Literature
Volume: 0.1 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/1965
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Slavic Languages and Literature :

The formation of such a department had been in consideration since 1934 when the University was requested to establish a chair by the Czechoslovak National Council of America.1 Courses in Russian began to be offered in 1942 on the undergraduate level and in 1952 on the graduate level. 2 Formerly part of the French Department, a separate Russian Department was established in 1959.3 In the same year the program leading to a masters degree was approved and in 1961, one leading to a Ph.D. was approved.4 In 1963 the University of Illinois Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the Department to Slavic Languages and Literature.5

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, February 24, 1934, p. 454; May 22, 1934, p. 574-75.

2. Catalogue & Register, 1942-43, p. 332; Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1952-53, p. 340.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, May 16, 1959, p. 406.

4. Ibid., 50th Report, October 18, 1959, p. 1073; 51st Report, November 26, 1961, p. 1186-87.

5. Ibid., 52nd Report, December 18, 1963, p. 936.

Subject Index
Slavic Languages Department
Languages of Materials
English [eng]