Agricultural Education Letterbooks, 1910-11
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Agricultural Extension Letterbooks, containing letters sent by Fred L. Charles, assistant professor of Agricultural Education, to school superintendents, educators, public officials and friends, concerning agricultural education, summer school, rural schools, the University Academy, teacher education, publications and short courses, conferences and meetings.

A second letterbook (January 11, 1910 - November 29, 1910) relates to Charles' work as secretary-editor of the American Nature-Study Society and the Nature Study Review.

Each volume contains an alphabetical index to correspondents.

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 8/3/19
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Agricultural Extension Service
Volume: 0.3 cubic feet
Acquired: 3/27/69
Arrangement: By type of work and chonologically thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Agricultural Extension Service :

Under the Smith-Lever Act of 1914 and subsequent laws, the University is responsible for cooperative agricultural and home economics extension work, consisting of instruction and practical demonstrations for persons not attending the University through field demonstrations and publications.1 The County Cooperative Extension Law passed in 1963 recognized the County Extension Councils set up by the University; with this authorization the University reaffirmed the delegation of this function to the Director of the University Cooperative Extension Service. In addition this law established Extension Boards as liaisons between the County Councils and County Board of Supervisors or Commissioners, and designated the University to be eligible to receive county funds to support the Cooperative Extension program.2 Originally the Dean of the College of Agriculture served under the title of Director of the Cooperative Extension Service.3 On April 1, 1965, this title was changed back to simply Dean of the College of Agriculture, while the Associate Director of the Cooperative Extension Service became the Director of the Cooperative Extension Service and Associate Dean of the College of Agriculture.4

On May 11, 1995, the Board of Trustees approved the renaming and reorganization of the College. It was renamed the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences and several changes were made in the organization of departments and divisions.5 The faculty in the 4-H and Youth Programs, which to that point had been part of the Cooperative Extension Service, were combined with three other entities to create a new department called the Department of Human and Community Development.6

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 27th Report, June 9, 1914, p. 766.

2. Ibid., 52nd Report, September 18, 1963, p. 773

3. Ibid., 27th Report, June 9, 1914, p. 766.

4. Ibid., 53rd Report, February 17, 1965, p. 393.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 68th Report, May 11, 1995, p. 277-8.

6. SEE Human and Community Development Department, RG 8/11.

Subject Index
Agricultural Education
American Nature Study Society
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]