Some Historical Highlights, 1964, 1967
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Duplicated history of the development of the Coordinated Science Laboratory, including a narrative account of its origin as the Control Systems Laboratory in 1951, its contributions to military systems, reorganization into an interdisciplinary graduate research center in 1959, significant research accomplishments (electric vacuum gyroscope, surface and vacuum physics, computers, control systems and switching theory) and financial support.

The series includes a building dedication program symposium program review (1967).

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 11/13/805
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Coordinated Science Laboratory
Volume: 0.1 cubic feet
Acquired: September 1965
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Coordinated Science Laboratory :

Established in 1951,1 the Coordinated Sciences Laboratory is devoted to pure and applied research in engineering, electronics, communications, aerospace studies, and other fields. It provides an interdisciplinary research environment to stimulate interaction among faculty and students from engineering sciences and other areas. It has facilities for materials processing including electron beam welding, inert gas brazing and glass blowing.2 Prior to 1959 it was the Control Systems Laboratory and worked on classified military research.3

This unit covers:

--Population Dynamics Group (1974)

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, Sept. 23, 1953, p. 1087.

2. Graduate College Catalog, 1974-1976, pp. 12-13

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, May 16, 1959, p. 416.

Subject Index
Control Systems Laboratory
Coordinated Science Laboratory
Languages of Materials
English [eng]