Plym Traveling Fellowship File, 1910-1988
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Plym Fellowship File, including correspondence, rules and regulations, itineraries, monthly and final reports, sketches and envois, photographs, announcements and related material concerning the Francis J. Plym Fellowships awarded to graduates winning preliminary and final competitions in architectural design.�  The series includes correspondence of the department head with Mr. Plym, the Award Committee, the President and the Dean of Engineering concerning the competition and terms of the award; rules, regulations, announcements, policy letters agreements and forms; announcements, applications and lists, preliminary and final exercise problems, reports of committee judgment and related correspondence for each annual competition and correspondence and reports of each follow.�  The letters and reports of fellows contain extensive commentaries on European architecture, travel, living conditions and customs.

The series includes correspondence, announcements and competition reports relating to the Plym Traveling Scholarships and Fellowships in Architectural Engineering (1923-1967) and in Fellowships in Architecture (1911-1988).

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 12/2/3
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Architecture
Volume: 3.6 cubic feet
Acquired: January 29, 1965
Arrangement: by type of material and chronologically thereunder
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Architecture :

The 1870-71 University Catalogue and Circular lists the first architecture course and contains an announcement of the School of Architecture which was appended to the College of Engineering.1 In 1873 the Board of Trustees approved the School of Architecture.2 In 1893, the trustees approved curricula for architecture and architectural engineering.3

In 1931 the College of Fine and Applied Arts was formed. It included the Department of Architecture.4 In 1973, the Department of Architecture discontinued offering two graduate degrees; instead, it provided a new Master of Architecture degree which allowed options for subject specialization.5 In 1981 the Department of Architecture was redesignated the School of Architecture.6 The school offers a Bachelors, and a 2 and 3 1/2 year Masters in such specialties as architectural design, history, structures, and technology.7

1. Baker, Ira O. and King, Everett E. A History of the College of Engineering of the University of Illinois 1868-1945, Part 1, (Urbana), p. 290; Fourth Annual Catalogue and Circular of the Illinois Industrial University, 1870-71, p. 32.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 6th Report, 1873, p. 42; Ibid., 17th Report, 1894, p. 330.

3. Ibid., 17th Report, July 6, 1893, pp. 136-139.

4. Ibid., 36th Report, 1931, p. 186-87.

5. Graduate College Catalog, 1972/74, p. 44.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 61st Report, 1980-82, p. 325.

7. Ibid., 61st Report, 1980-82, p. 325; Graduate Programs, 1986-88, p. 78-79.

Subject Index
Architecture
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]