Gymnasium Handbooks and Regulations, 1910-11, 1918-19, 1923-24, 1935-36, 1936-37
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Gymnasium Handbooks (1910-11, 1918-19, 1923-24) and Regulations of the Department (1935-36, 1936-37), describing courses, fees, costume, rules, absences, exercises, personal hygiene and student organizations.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 16/4/804
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of  Physical Education
Volume: 0.1 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/1963
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of  Physical Education :

The University of Illinois first offered physical education to women through the School of Domestic Science in 1874.1 A physical education program became mandatory for female students in 1876.2 In 1896, the trustees voted to change the department head's title from director of Physical Culture for Women to director of Physical Training for Women.3 During this year, the department began cooperating with the Department of Physical Training for Men in an effort to provide "uniformity of theory and practice."4

In 1919, the Department of Physical Training for Women was renamed the Department of Physical Education for Women.5 It became part of a larger School of Physical Education in 1932. The school was overseen by a director; the Department of Physical Education for Women offered a professional curriculum, required physical education, faculty recreation, and intramural sports. It awarded the B.S. to those who completed its curriculum;6 a master's degree program appeared in 1942.7

In 1957, the School of Physical Education became the College of Physical Education, and a dean replaced the director. During this reorganization, a new Department of Health and Safety Education and a new Department of Recreation took responsibility for some of the instruction offered by physical education for women.8 The department began offering a dance curriculum in 1961;9 this B.A. program was transferred to the College of Fine and Applied Arts in 1968.10 In 1972, the Department of Physical Education for Women merged with the Department of Physical Education for Men; the two now form a single Department of Physical Eduation.11

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, September 9, 1874, p. 90.

2. Ibid., June 7, 1876, p. 191.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 18th Report, June 9, 1896, p. 248.

4. Ibid., March 3, 1895, p. 77.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 30th Report, March 15, 1919, p. 266.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, June 11, 1932, p. 609.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 42nd Report, December 15, 1942, pp. 200-201.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, June 20, 1957, p. 435.

9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, November 28, 1961, p. 1186.

10. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 24, 1968, pp. 8-9.

11. Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, May 17, 1972, p. 626.

Subject Index
Physical Education for Women
Languages of Materials
English [eng]