The Illinois Magazine, 1902-07, 1909-26
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: The Illinois Magazine, formerly The Illinois (until 1910), published monthly during the school year in six volumes by the English Club (1902-07), and in fourteen volumes by undergraduate students (1909-22), including student essays, fiction, humor and editorials.  In 1924, The Illinois Magazine was published biweekly as the Sunday Literary Section of the Daily Illini.  The series was again renumbered as volume I in 1924.  Microfilm is available for 1902 to 1924.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/7/810
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of English
Volume: 1.2 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/1963
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of English :

In 1867, the University announced instruction in English Language and Literature in the Department of General Science and Literature.1 In 1868, the Department of English Language and Literature began instruction which has continued to the present.2 A School of English and Modern Languages was included under the College of Literature and Science in 1871,3  but a Department of English Language and Literature was listed through 1874-75 for those wishing to concentrate in that area.4 In 1891, the College of Literature became a separate entity, including within it the School of English and Modern Languages.5 In 1906-07, the department acquired courses in Rhetoric and Public Speaking.6 From 1916 to 1919, it taught courses in Celtic literature and civilization.7 In 1917 the English department added courses in Journalism,8 and in 1918 courses in Scandinavian language and literature.9 Journalism was separated in 1927,10 and Scandinavian courses were dropped in 1939.11 Speech (formerly Public Speaking12) was separated from the English department in 1947.13 Business English was introduced as a special group of courses within the department of English in 1948,14 becoming known as Business and Technical Writing in 1966.15 English for Foreign Students was similarly introduced in 1946,16 to become English as a Second Language in 1965.17 Other English courses have been offered from 1948 under the headings of Rhetoric and Composition, English Literature, and American Literature,18 though, as of 1972, the last two headings have been omitted.19

This unit covers:

--Illinois State-wide Curriculum Study Center for the Preparation of Secondary School English Teachers (ISCPET): Established in 1967 as an intercollegiate project financed by the United States Office of Education.20

1. Catalogs and Registers, 1867, p. 6.

2. Ibid., 1868-69, p. 8.

3. Ibid., 1871-72, p. 25.

4. Ibid., 1874-75, p. 46.

5. Ibid., 1891-92, p. 111.

6. Ibid., 1906-07, p. 280-82.

7. Ibid., 1916-17, p. 309; 1919-20, p. 311.

8. Ibid., 1917-18, p. 299.

9. Ibid., 1918-19, p. 297, 305-06.

10. Board of Trustees Transactions, 34th Report, July 14, 1927, p. 416.

11. Catalogs and Registers, 1939-40, p. 254; English Department, Course Enrollment Statistical Reports, 1938-39, 1939-40.

12. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, index, p. 691.

13. Ibid., 44th Report, March 27, 1947, p. 310.

14. Time Table, first semester, 1948-49, p. 67.

15. Catalogs and Registers, 1966-67, p. 79.

16. Ibid., 1954-55, p. 322.

17. Ibid., 1965-66, p. 74.

18. Time Table, first semester, 1948-49, p. 67.

19. Catalogs and Registers, 1972-74, p. 150.

20. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, June 20, 1967, p. 566. Record Group 15

Subject Index
Illinois Magazine, The
Student Publications
Student Writing
Languages of Materials
English [eng]