Affiliated Faculty and Staff File, 1960-86
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Affiliated Faculty and Staff File (1960-86) for UIUC faculty, associate appointees, or fellowship recipients of the Center, including faculty from History, Law, Music, Political Science, Linguistics, Sociology, Economics, Leisure Studies, Spanish, French, and Slavic Language and Literature Departments; contains appointment papers, correspondence, curricula vitae, departmental newsletters, publications, lists of publications, newsclippings, articles, travel itineraries and reimbursements, proposals for research projects, and conference announcements; and concerning research, publications, and instruction in Russian and East European issues in the humanities, social sciences, and physical sciences.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/35/2
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center
Volume: 3.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 10/10/86; 4/22/93
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1535002.pdf
Arrangement: Alphabetical by name of affiliate
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center :

The Russian and East European Center coordinates courses and research in the humanities and social sciences dealing with Slavic Europe. Originally called the "Center for Russian Language and Area Studies", it was established in 1960 when it began offering undergraduate majors and minors and graduate minors (both Masters and Ph.D.).1 Work on the anthropology, history, economics, politics, of Russia, in addition to language and literature courses, formed the content of the program. In 1961, the Trustees authorized the granting of a graduate "Certificate in Russian Language and Area Studies", which recognized the successful completion of a sequence of graduate courses offered by this interdisciplinary program.2 Since this time, the offerings of the Center have remained stable.3 The Center broadened its scope in 1968 to include Slavic language nations other than Russia; at that time the name was changed to the "Russian and East European Center."4 It sponsors courses in the language, literature, culture, economics and history of Russia, Poland, Czechoslovakia and other East European nations.

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, May 17, 1960, p. 1278; Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1960-61, p. 253.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, May 17, 1961, p. 485.

3. Undergraduate Programs, 1975-77, pp. 325-26; Graduate Programs, 1976-78, p. 126.

4. "Annual Report for Academic 1968-69" of the Russian and East European Center, June 27, 1969, p. 18.

Subject Index
Russian Area Studies
Slavic Languages
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]