Railway Engineering Photographs, ca. 1910-30
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Railway Engineering photographs consisting of a collection of 770 glass plates and 47 lantern slides of locomotives, boilers, railroad trucks, wheels and wheel testing equipment, rail joint experiments, cars, signals, dynamometer cars and piston rod testing, with views of field trips to the Illinois Central, Peoria and Eastern (Big Four) and Illinois Traction System lines and shops. See also R.S. 11/6/15 and 11/11/6.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 11/5/15
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Civil Engineering
Volume: 3.4 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/6/68; 6/81
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1105015.pdf
Arrangement: numerically, 1-929; lantern slides follow 929
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Civil Engineering :

The 1867 Committee of the Regent and the Board of Trustees made provision for Civil Engineering instruction1 but the department did not become a separate unit until after 1871 when Professor J.B. Webb was appointed to the Professorship of Civil Engineering.2 In 1871 there were 21 students enrolled in the Department of Civil Engineering.3

In 1876, the Trustees defined the object of the school as "to furnish a course of theoretical instruction, accompanied and illustrated by a large amount of practice, which will enable students to enter intelligently upon the various and important duties of an engineer." Their report included statements on instructions, course of studies, technical studies, drawing, projects, apparatus and courses.4

On January 30, 1906, the Trustees created a Department of Railway Engineering.5 On January 23, 1907, the Trustees established the School of Railway Engineering and Administration.6 In 1926, the Department took over the work of the Department of Municipal and Sanitary Engineering which had been organized in 1890.7

In February 1989, the Departments of Metallurgy and Mining Engineering and Ceramic Engineering were merged to form the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. See also Subgroup 11/9.8

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1st Report, May 8, 1867, pp. 42, 50-51.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 5th Report, Nov. 1, 1871, p. 149.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, 1870-71, p. 14.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, 1874-76, pp. 44-47.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 23rd Report, Jan. 30, 1906, p. 315.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 24th Report, Jan. 23, 1907, p. 70.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 34th Report, July 7, 1926, p. 3; Board of Trustees Transactions, 17th Report, 1892-94, p. 332.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 64th Report, February 4, 1988, pp 466-67.

Subject Index
Boiler Testing
Dynamometer Cars
Electric Railways
History of Technology
Illinois Central Railroad
Locomotives, Steam
Peoria and Eastern Railway
Photographs
Railway Engineering
Wheel Testing, Railroad
Languages of Materials
English [eng]